Above all else, guard your heart...

Above all else, guard your heart- for it is the wellspring of life. (Proverbs 4.23)

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

I've been lucky enough to be blessed with an incredible dad. He doesn't typically enjoy the spotlight so today I figure I'd at least give him the spotlight on my blog.

My dad emulates Christ-like character on a daily basis - sure, he's not perfect- but he's a man that God has blessed with both wisdom and discernment in how to be a father, husband, and businessman. Life hasn't always been easy, but my father has continually placed his focus and trust in the Lord to lead him in the way he and his family was to go. He is always last, placing the Lord, my brother, myself and my mom constantly ahead of himself.

Obviously there are countless things a daughter learns from her father, but some things I am particularly thankful for:


-My love and knowledge of cars. Yes, having a mechanic/car-savvy father pays dividends.

-My extremely high standards for a husband. Watching a man live out the Christ-like qualities so many girls think don't exist is a daily reminder that I don't have to settle. Sorry boys!

-My love for hiking. When I was younger I cried the entire way, and once, my dad even pushed me up because I refused to go any further!

-My love (obsession?) with football. It sure helps having a partner in crime any time any game is on!

-My career pursuit. While watching a football game, Dad looked at me and just said "Ever thought of doing what you love for the rest of your life?" Smart thinking, Dad.

-My foundation in Christ. No, I don't live my parents' faith. My Dad (and Mom!) constantly pointed me toward the Lord to find my strength, hope, and source of life. For that, I am forever thankful to both my parents in never forcing a religion or boring set of traditions on me, but for living out a true relationship that I too wanted to have.


Now, typically on Father's Day, my family and I would go to Polar Caves in New Hampshire and go caving. From the Orange Crush to the Lemon Squeeze, my entire family would attempt to get ourselves through the tiny spaces and awkward turns in the caves. It always turned out that my dad had more work than play on his hands, trying to corral my brother and I, get us out of spaces we never should have explored, and tell us when it was time to go. We thought it was his favorite thing in the world. Hopefully he enjoyed it at least a little.


Nowadays, Father's Day is obviously different. I would love to say he's sitting out on the porch with the dog, enjoying a day off, but I know that's not happening. So, whatever you're doing with your time today, happy father's day, Dad! Maybe you can go to Polar Caves with Mom... but I doubt it would be as fun as it used to be.

1 comment:

  1. I hope I can have that same effect on my daughter....your love for your Dad is a beautiful thing!...Paul Howley

    ReplyDelete