Above all else, guard your heart...

Above all else, guard your heart- for it is the wellspring of life. (Proverbs 4.23)

Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Beginning of Faith

There are very few people I know that have a stronger faith than my mom. Regardless of what's going on in my life, she always has a steadfast trust that God is ultimately in control. She doesn't hesitate, question, or sit back and worry. It's simple to her: God is in control.

For my birthday, she sent me a magnet with a handwritten phrase on it (and kindly recites it when on the phone with me listening to my anxious thoughts):


The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith.
The beginning of faith is the end of anxiety.


I've heard it said that unrest and worry aren't stress problems but faith problems. Lucky for me (the worrisome, anxious stress-ball that I typically am) dealing with a faith problem is an easy fix.

Again, my mom kindly recites my "life verse" to me as often as I speak with her. It's almost as if she knew when I was born I would need the constant reminder:


Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and lean not on your own understanding
.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will direct your path.
Proverbs 3:5-6


The writers in the Bible understood the importance of shedding the fear and worry, too. Again, fixing it is easy.

...cast all your cares on Him.

...do not be anxious about anything.

...fear not, I am with you.

...my peace I give you.


If this anxiety problem is such an easy fix, then why is it a daily struggle? If all I need to do is cast my cares on Him, why do I clutch on to them and let them affect every aspect of my life?


My anxiety problem is nothing less than a faith problem.


The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith.


What about you? Is your anxiety becoming a faith problem? What can you do to fix it?


...The beginning of faith is the end of anxiety.



No comments:

Post a Comment