Above all else, guard your heart...

Above all else, guard your heart- for it is the wellspring of life. (Proverbs 4.23)

Friday, January 29, 2010

What I'm Doing

Several people have asked about an update on my life here in Nashville so I figured today (as the snow comes down outside and the entire city is shut down) was a perfect day for an update. So today there will be less profound thoughts and references and more of a basic update on my life. Hope I don't bore you!

For a quick recap:
I moved to Nashville, TN in June '09 to work on my master's degree. I am currently an MSA student (Master's of Sport Administration) at Belmont University; the program is designed to be completed in 2 years and is problem-based learning focused. Classes are at night which allows students to work and intern throughout the work week. It's a fantastic set-up and really allows us to network and meet the right people through real world experience. No spoon feeding information like in college.

Back to current day:

So what am I doing right now? A better question would be what am I not doing?! Life is rather busy for me right now, and it looks to only get busier. I am interning, coaching volleyball, taking classes, and working part-time. :Sigh: I forget how much is on my plate until I type it all out.

When it comes to the "classroom", I'm in my second semester at Belmont, taking Facility +Event Management and Sports Journalism + Media courses. They are problem-based learning, so instead of basic classroom learning I am actively working in the sport industry, learning as I go. For example, my event management class is planning a golf tournament; each of the students are in charge of a particular "industry" segment- sponsorships, press releases, awards + auctions, registration, etc. I'm particularly excited about my journalism course- I've always had a desire to be a beat writer or journalist. Mom is more excited than I am... she thinks writing is my lot in life. (Plus, I think Mom would love to say "I told you so" for the rest of my life if I end up a writer.)

In addition to my classes this semester, I am interning at A-Game under the GM in overall administrative operations. A-Game is a state-of-the-art (and ginormous!) sportsplex that includes 2 hockey rinks, 6 basketball courts, 12 volleyball cours, Bikram Yoga, a skate academy, full fitness center, and turf for speed and agility training. My main project as an intern is to conduct an economic impact analysis for the company and how it affects the city of Franklin and its surrounding community. Quite a project for sure! Luckily I have a CPA that will work closely with me to assist in any way needed. Plus, this June, A-Game is hosting the 11U Girls AAU National Basketball Championships, of which I will be a part of the planning committee. This internship is definitely giving me several looks at the industry and is allowing me to learn and think on my feet with a high level of responsibility. Who knows what I'll wind up doing after all this!

I am coaching volleyball for Alliance Volleyball Club in Franklin, TN, a program with over 450 girls and 42 teams. Needless to say it is very different from Lakes Region Juniors back home in New Hampshire... well, its just bigger. I am the head coach of the 17-2 team, an age group I have coached now for 2 straight years (coached 17-1 in NH last year). We have our first tournament in Birmingham, AL in a couple of weeks. I can't wait. The one thing that has been for certain in my "career path" has been coaching volleyball. Not only am I able to be involved in a sport I am passionate about, but I am also able to be a part of teenage girls' lives at an important stage in their life. It caught me by surprise, but I am becoming more and more fond of the 16-ish year old age group. I never went into coaching to be a mentor, but have found it to be the most rewarding of experiences.

I'm working part-time at a bakery ( The Puffy Muffin ) when I have the availability. Paying the bills is never easy, but as a full-time student/part-time intern, money has never been tighter. The Puff, as I like to call it, is an upscale bakery and restaurant in one of the most affluent towns in all of Tennessee. "Stars" like to show up from time to time (James Cameron, Alan Jackson, etc...) so it makes the day interesting to say the least. My co-workers are absolutely the best part of the job... I have definitely made some of the best friends at the Puff.

Surprisingly, I do have some free time. Sundays you'll find me at my favorite place in all of Nashville: my church. I attend an unbelievable church ( Crosspoint ) and know without a doubt that God has great things in store for me at this church. The pastoral staff is great, and they are real about challenging themselves and the entire church body. Hardly a Sunday goes by that I am not challenged, inspired, or pushed out of my comfort zone at Crosspoint. I'm also getting back into playing again, with my basketball season and adult volleyball league starting next week. I'll be hurtin' for sure!

With all that said, I am blessed. Even with the stress of money, bills, and figuring out "life", I am convinced that I am where I need to be to live the best life possible. Of course, I miss my family, and, if I could, would make them move here to be closer to me. They and I both know that this is where I need to be for now, so we'll just have to make it work. Afterall, who knows where I'll be this time next year!

--

So I hope this served to be an interesting update to where I am and what I'm doing with myself... I know I'm bad at updating people personally and keeping them in the loop, maybe this will redeem me for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment