Above all else, guard your heart...

Above all else, guard your heart- for it is the wellspring of life. (Proverbs 4.23)

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Seduction of Achievement

Denver Broncos wide receiver Kenny McKinley was found dead in his apartment yesterday in an apparent suicide. A second year player in the NFL, McKinley had a promising future in professional football but was sidelined with a knee injury for the beginning of this year. As a college player, McKinley knew plenty about success, achievement and the approval of others, being a star wide receiver at the University of South Carolina. He remains the all-time leader in receptions at South Carolina, and was one of the best receivers in the SEC back in 2007. If anyone had a great and promising future due to previous success, it was McKinley.

On the outside everything looked perfect, but on the inside something was apparently missing. I don't know the reason Kenny McKinley took his own life yesterday, and I'm not going to speculate, but I do know that its a clear example of the seduction of achievement and the empty promise it whispers.

At both church and in my small group, the past two weeks we've spent discussing the issue of idols and what most rivals God's role in our lives. As we settled in on the idol of achievement and success, it became apparent many of us have been duped into believing that the grass is definitely greener on the "more successful" side of the fence.

Let me remind you, it is not.

The moment you take a God-given gift, whether it be a talent, job, or opportunity, and place it in a role to fulfill you, you begin to tread on dangerous grounds. Success is a seductress, convincing you a pat on the back, a new title, or a pay raise will fill that gaping hole in your chest.

Let me tell you again, it will not.

In the book of John, Jesus reminds the people of this, that only through Him will this hunger and thirst for more be permanently filled. He says (v.35-36),

"I am the bread of life, He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe."

In Matthew, he says again that only in Him can we find rest.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls (v28-29)."

Rest for your souls.

Isn't that what we're really looking for anyway? Maybe will that new job, or that new car, or those new friends I will finally feel fulfilled, rested, worthy. If we're honest, isn't that really the lure of success? To have it all? But a rested soul... that is the key. And we know exactly how to find it. Jesus says it plain and simple, "Come to me."

So what does that look like? The Psalmist paints an incredible picture of what resting in the Lord looks like in chapter 23.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores me soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No striving. No seeking approval. Just rest, comfort, and safety.

A restored soul.

So let me encourage you today to stop striving. Stop comparing yourself to others who "have it all." Stop seeking fulfillment from something that only God can provide. Rest in Him. Let him restore you, define you, and love you for who you are... not what you've done.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, Christina. As I've shared before, the idol of success/achievement is my big one. This series is particularly sobering for me, and I appreciate the lines you drew here in this post.

    ReplyDelete